Monday, April 22, 2013

Cauliflower Bisque

This has been one of my favorite soups for a long time, but I always made it with dairy.  I try to eat Whole 30 style whenever I can, so I tried it with coconut milk, and it is just as good if not better!  I am a total saffron slut and not ashamed of it!

Cauliflower Bisque

Whatcha Need:

2 cups water
2 cups chicken broth (bone broth if possible)
1/8 ts saffron
3 TB ghee
2 cups onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs cauliflower, chopped
sald and pepper
3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (or can use cream if that is your thang)

Whatcha Do:

Bring the water and chicken broth to a simmer.  Remove from head and crumble in the saffron.  Let it sit for 20 minutes.  In a pot large enough to hold the liquid, saute the onions and garlic in ghee for a few minutes, then add the cauliflower and stir to coat.  Add the liquid to the pot and and salt and pepper to taste.  This soup can take a decent amount of salt.  It seems to bring out the flavor of the saffron more.  Simmer the cauliflower about 20 minutes, or until very tender.  Now comes the easy or hard part, depending on your kitchen tools.  :)  You need to blend this sucker up, and there is nothing I hate more than transferring soup into a blender.  That is why I got an immersion blender, and oh how I love that thing!  So hopefully you have one too!  Whatever your method, process til smooth and then add the coconut milk.  Put it back on the heat to warm it up if necessary and prepare to indulge your senses!

No comments:

Post a Comment