Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Mole Mole Mole

I love mole so much I have to say it three times! Is this the best mole recipe ever? Not even close, but I am a mole snob. It is, however, pretty darn good, especially when you want to make an easy version. Also, as much as I love throwing things into the crockpot in the morning and being mostly done with dinner, I think this recipe would be better made differently because the chicken releases more liquid as it cooks and dilutes the sauce. So I will give directions for a couple ways. One day I will try my hand at a paleo version of my traditional mole recipe that takes 3 days to make, but that is not this day. In the above picture, I served it over cauliflower "rice" (sauteed with ghee, garlic, salt and a bit of paprika, oregano and cumin) and zucchini sauteed with ghee, garlic, salt and chili powder - my favorite way to eat zuke!) Now all I need to do is figure out how to make a wrap and turn these into enchiladas.... hmmm.


Ingredients:

About 4 chicken breasts or 6 thighs (I like to use a bag of boneless, skinless thighs from Trader Joe's)
2 TB ghee
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups tomatoes, chopped (or you can use a 15oz can if that is how you roll)
2 TB raisins, optional (I leave these out when we are low carbing, and I still think it is great)
1 - 2 cups chicken broth (I want to try just 1 next time, whether crockpot or not)
3 TB sunflower seed butter
3 TB chili powder
2 TB cocoa powder
1 ts cinnamon
1 ts cumin
1/2 ts coriander seed
1/2 ts anise seed
1/8 ts ground cloves
1 ts salt
1 ts pepper

Instructions: 

Start cooking your chicken by your desired method. I usually just bake mine in the oven,but you can also saute it if you cut it in small pieces ahead of time. In the meantime, melt the ghee in a good sized pot, and saute the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and raisins, if using, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add the broth sunflower seed butter, chili powder, cocoa, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, anise, cloves, salt and pepper. Stir until the the sunbutter is melted and all is well combined.

For the next step, if you have an immersion blender, you are a happy camper as you can just blend it up right in the pot. If not, transfer it all to a blender and whir it up, then pour it back in the pan. Cook on low for about another 10 minutes just to get the flavors nice and melded. Are you in heaven yet just from the smell? Can I haz for soup now pleez? :D

When your chicken is done, drain off the fat and add it to the mole pot. Simmer for another 5 minutes or so on low, just to get the flavor nicely mixed up with the chicken. Longer would be fine too, but you don't want it to go too long or your chicken could get overcooked.
Crockpot option: Don't cook your chicken ahead of time, but instead put it in a crockpot, then pour the sauce over it when it is done. Cook on high for about 4-5 hours or low about 6-7.


NOTES: I would really like to try this with an equivalent amount of unsweetened baking chocolate. If you do, let me know how it is!


No comments:

Post a Comment